Black Australorp babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LD Jackson, May 3, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Okay, we now are the proud owners of 20 Black Australorp baby chicks. We were originally supposed to get 25, but the man I purchased them from said to get 25, some of them would be quite a bit larger than the others. Probably better this way. In case you are interested, here are three pictures I just took of them in their brooder/55 gallon tub from Wal-Mart. Since I had to actually scrape ice off my windshield this morning, plus the fact that it is so damp outside because of the recent rains, I thought it best to keep them inside for now. Plus, it will give me a chance to disinfect the pigeon loft they will be moving into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They're so sweet! I have one BA and she's going though "the ugly stage" but still cute to me [​IMG]

3. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:That's what my wife called it, "the ugly stage". I know one thing, I am going to be very disappointed if there aren't at least ten pullets in this crowd.

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    aww the are cuties....enjoy them

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
  6. Jeneane

Jeneane Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    The one on the feeder looks like the 5 I bought from the feed store and they told me they were Black Anconas. Will be posting pics later when I have enough posts.

7. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
  8. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    The carefresh looks like a recycled paper product. I would stick to the tried and true pine shavings just to be sure.

9. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
  10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Your best bet is aspen bedding, which is a hardwood and doesn't emit any evergreen fumes. You will find it in the dog bedding section. Whatever you do, don't leave them on those cedar chips. Until you can get something else, just use a layer of newspaper covered with paper towels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by