Black Australorp chicks arrive tomorrow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LD Jackson, May 2, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Okay, as some of you may already know, I have 25 Black Australorp chicks arriving tomorrow. I will be cleaning out a small portion of my former pigeon loft/coop, a place where the pigeons were nesting, to be used as a brooder. There will be pine or cedar shavings and the open end will be blocked to keep of the south wind. The eaves do have vents, but that will be about two feet over their heads and they will be in a small cubbyhole that was used as a nesting area. Heat lamp will be provided, of course. The age of this chicks will range from 1 week to 2-3 days old. I know it's hard to say without seeing my setup, but pictures are unfortunately not available at the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    hey man i got a couple of them comming today just wondering if you have any big australorps and how do they lay

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Awesome..and when u have some extra pullets you don't have room for..pleaaaaase keep me in mind..I just want an austrolop pullet so bad...
    Xoxoxo

4. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I seem to be having trouble locating the proper feed. A man I work with raises several different breeds of chickens and he says for the larger birds, I need a starter that is at least 28% protein and most of the chick starters are 16-18%. Am I likely to have health or growth problems if I feed the lower protein feed?

5. Jeneane

Jeneane Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    I read some where that you don't want to use cedar shaving for chicks because it can poison them. Not sure if it is true or not but wouldn't want to take a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by