1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp Gender Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Foxyrockie, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Foxyrockie

Foxyrockie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    [​IMG]
    This is Sugar! She/He is almost 5 months old. I have been back and forth so many times about this chicken's gender. I'm leaning towards hen and almost ready to lay. Any old schoolers out there care to venture an opinion? Or maybe just someone who knows better than I do. Lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Chicken Strut

Chicken Strut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Southern Vermont
    Looks like a pullet about ready to lay to me. My BA is about a month younger than yours and doesn't have the impressive comb/wattles but she does have a few soft, rounded short feathers (and all of her feathers look iridescent in the sunlight) falling on either side of her back right before her tail - similar to those of your BA.

3. Chicken Strut

Chicken Strut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Southern Vermont
    Have you felt between her pelvic bones to see if they are spreading out? As far as I know, that doesn't happen with roosters, just hens getting ready to lay.

4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    If it is five months old and hasn't exhibited rooster like behaviour such as crowing or trying to mount other hens then I would say hen.

The comb at that age is hard to judge without a comparison but to me looks like a POL hen's comb. The stance looks quite rooster like. I can't see any saddle or hackle feathers which indicates Pullet.

Overall I'm leaning towards a Pullet that is close to laying :)

5. divide420

divide420 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2015
    divide,colorado
    my ba also has a larger comb than my other birds .it is about 5 months old. im hoping it starts laying ,not crowing soon.

6. Foxyrockie

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm a super novice. I wouldn't know how to feel between the pelvic bones if I wanted to, let alone know what anything under there should feel like! This one is definitely the head of our flock, but it's significantly bigger than the others so that's no surprise. It did do a submissive squat when I put my hand on it's back. I read somewhere that that could indicate pullet. I'm really hoping for a girl of course. Esp since one of my Orpington/RIR hens passed away a few days ago.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    PULLET. Near the POL. At 5 months a cockerel would have much more Comb and Wattle development.

[​IMG]

Here is a pair that is 5 months old. The cockerel is very obvious .

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you out!

8. Foxyrockie

Jul 9, 2015
    Dallas, Tx
    Oh wow. Yea that pic helps. My chicken doesnt have nearly the development of your roo. I know Australorps have larger than normal combs and waddles anyway. So compared with my other hens, Sugar's looked huge. But looks like we've got a girl. Which is even more awesome bc I picked her out of a straight run bin because I thought she was cute! Lol, 2 bucks!

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

10. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by