Black Australorp got sick and died in 24 hours

mrsc1951

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Largo, Florida
My beautiful Black Australorp, Mattie was fine day before yesterday but when I took treats out to them last evening, she didn't come running. I offered her some out of my hand and she ate only one mealworm. She was drinking water however. I took her a frozen bottle of water to see if she was just hot since it has been brutally hot and humid here. She got up on the roost with the rest of the girls and looked a bit better; comb and wattles not so pale - there is a fan in their coop. When she came out of the coop this morning she immediately went for the water which I thought was a good sign. After not seeing her for a couple of hours I went out to check on her and found her laying in the dirt. When I picked her up she pooped and it was yellow and sort of foamy. Thought it may have been a broken egg inside her and brought her in to give her a warm bath but she died in my arms before I could do that. So very sad. She was only three years old. I examined her and could find no signs of bugs, etc. and her vent area was clear. No internal egg. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Sorry for your loss... Foamy yellow poop can be from coccidiosis or blackhead. How yellow was it? This is what a coccidiosis poop can look like:

-Kathy

Last edited:
The poop was pale yellow and sort of frothy - like a beaten egg, which is what made me think she could have been eggbound and it broke. I was so devastated I didn't think about doing a necropsy; I let my husband bury her. She was just over 3 years old and had never had any issues. I did check her completely and there were no signs of parasites or worms. Thank you for your input. This is my first loss and it really hit hard.

Back
Top Bottom