Black Australorp has bald spots

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmeeter88, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    My Black Australorps ( 5 weeks old) are finally starting to put out some feathers (other than on their wings). I noticed they have some pretty significant bald patches on them, is that normal for young Australorps?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. pipermark

pipermark Songster

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Probably nothing, check them for mites , lice. Watch them and make sure they arent picking at each other:

If picking at each other
    1. they don't have enough room.
    2. They may not be getting enough protein. (I keep them on starter 20-24% protein until they start to lay.

3. toddntiff

toddntiff In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    My Australorps are 6 weeks old now and they all went through that stage. They have all filled in now and look great so I would just keep an eye on them! Take pictures! It's fun to watch the stages change and quickly too!

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Are the spots totally bald, or do they look like there are little straws poking out from the skin?

5. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Songster

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Quote:The patches are totally bald and do have "straws" poking out - I assume they are feathers. [​IMG]

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    The bald areas are nothing to worry about then. The straws are immature feathers, you will see the bird preening those and in a short time they will be nice new perfect little feathers.

7. Portia

Portia Songster

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My australorps were very rangly looking as they were growing in their feathers; much moreso than the other breeds i have. As long as you don't notice any pecking/picking or open sores they should be okay. I'll have to see if I can rustle up a few pictures of them at around 5 weeks.

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My BAs looked pretty shabby for about 3 wks now they're looking beautiful. Welsummer chicks the same age never went through that shabby stage. Be patient, they'll get there.

9. Portia

Portia Songster

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    The awkward teens
    [​IMG]

10. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chirping

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Love this website! With a little searching, ones questions can most likely be answered. My poor black star (sex-link) pullet, Twilight, looks horrible! She looks like a bald sad excuse for a porcupine. Ugliest girl of the pack (5 other pullets, 2 black stars and 3 red stars). Everyone else is the same age as Twilight, and they are sooo much prettier. Guess their feathers came in faster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: