Black Australorp has bald spots

jmeeter88

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
New Hartford, NY
My Black Australorps ( 5 weeks old) are finally starting to put out some feathers (other than on their wings). I noticed they have some pretty significant bald patches on them, is that normal for young Australorps?

Last edited:
Probably nothing, check them for mites , lice. Watch them and make sure they arent picking at each other:

If picking at each other
1. they don't have enough room.
2. They may not be getting enough protein. (I keep them on starter 20-24% protein until they start to lay.

My Australorps are 6 weeks old now and they all went through that stage. They have all filled in now and look great so I would just keep an eye on them! Take pictures! It's fun to watch the stages change and quickly too!

Quote:
The patches are totally bald and do have "straws" poking out - I assume they are feathers.
smile.png

The bald areas are nothing to worry about then. The straws are immature feathers, you will see the bird preening those and in a short time they will be nice new perfect little feathers.

My australorps were very rangly looking as they were growing in their feathers; much moreso than the other breeds i have. As long as you don't notice any pecking/picking or open sores they should be okay. I'll have to see if I can rustle up a few pictures of them at around 5 weeks.

My BAs looked pretty shabby for about 3 wks now they're looking beautiful. Welsummer chicks the same age never went through that shabby stage. Be patient, they'll get there.

Love this website! With a little searching, ones questions can most likely be answered. My poor black star (sex-link) pullet, Twilight, looks horrible! She looks like a bald sad excuse for a porcupine. Ugliest girl of the pack (5 other pullets, 2 black stars and 3 red stars). Everyone else is the same age as Twilight, and they are sooo much prettier. Guess their feathers came in faster?

Back
Top Bottom