Black Australorp has diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by modenacart, Jul 15, 2008.

1. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    My black australorp has really bad diarrhea. It was about the size of a Frisbee. I don't know if it all came out at once but it looks like it did. She doesn't seem to be acting too strange. What should I do?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would get a sample and take it to a vet to have it checked for parasites. Any signs of anything in it? Did she eat anything different lately?

Jody

3. Alabama_boy

Alabama_boy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Lancaster County, SC
    Have you wormed them lately?

4. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    I feed them the same thing everyday, start and grow. They also eat what I throw in the compost bin. I have not wormed them. All of my chickens looked good when I put them away tonight. No more signs of problems. I will see how they feel in the morning.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That puts a whole new spin on this. This is a chick with diarhea the size of a frisbee? I can't imagine a chick pooping something bigger than their size. How old is the chick? Have your chicks been on the ground (outside) or are they in a brooder (indoors)?

Sorry...edited because I just noticed you said they were on the ground. Compost is probably not a good idea for chicks and could have caused a bout of diarhea.

Jody

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    This may sound stupid but are you sure it was poo? Maybe a shelless, messed up egg? It sounds odd.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Was it watery, or dark, or chalky white??

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Quote:ditto that on the compost! (did you know there is a risk of botulism from rotting vegetation?)

9. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    It was light brown almost liquid, but not really. Whatever it was she seemed great today. Running around and eating like crazy. Not signs of sickness at all.

10. modenacart

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    Also, they were 20 weeks old last Monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by