Black Australorp hen is crowing? Hen or late bloomer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slgnfd16, Jul 6, 2016.

1. slgnfd16

slgnfd16 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Hello BYC memebers! I'm new here as a member, but I've been tuning in for advice, chicken coop ideas ect. However, one thing I can't figure out is this hen/rooster. I've got one definite roo, as he's been crowing every morning, afternoon and occasionally at dinner time.(I've witnessed him crowing soI'm positive he is indeed the crowing culprit) They are 13 weeks old. My roo started crowing awhile ago. They both have long wattles, and tall combs. The reason im really asking for help is because occasionally I'll hear an unfamiliar crowlike noise following the normal cockadoodledoo.I haven't witnessed this, it's usually right before I come out of the house. Naturally they won't put on a show for me. The picture of the rooster is the australorp on the coop roof.[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At 13 weeks both australorps are roosters as their combs and wattles are quite big.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree. My Australorps are about the same age and these look just like my Australorp cockerels. The pullets don't have much at all for comb or wattles yet.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The Aussies are both cockerels. And I hate to say it, but I'm getting a roo-vibe from the red EE in the middle. Do you want to post a better pic of that bird and his comb?

1 person likes this.
  5. slgnfd16

slgnfd16 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank you all so much for your input. Sorry I'm do late responding, still learning how to use the site. Looks like I'll be needing to find homes for these 2, as our coop just isn't big enough to keep them along with getting 2 more hens to replace the eggs I won't be getting from the roos.

6. slgnfd16

slgnfd16 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Here's another pic of our Americauna pullet[​IMG]

7. slgnfd16

slgnfd16 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    EEs can take a little longer to figure out because of the smaller combs, but a red comb, and pointy hackle feathers = cockrel. Mary

1 person likes this.
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    All three of your birds are male.

1 person likes this.
  10. slgnfd16

slgnfd16 Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Oh my. Well, since 3 out of my 4 birds are cockerels, I might as well post one of my whiteleghorn! She is very skidish, sweet and does her own thing during the day. Now I know why if she's the only pullet! Poor thing![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by