1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp hen... Or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ceejstrak, Jun 22, 2016.

1. ceejstrak

ceejstrak New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Hi all. I have 4 eleven (11) week old birds, all different breeds, and one is definately not like the others. I've been scouring the web for answers, but nothing has me 100% certain. He/she is a black Australorp (I think), and has a very large, red comb, big waddles, and is significantly larger (leg size, height) than his/her sisters. It makes a sound (not entirely a cock-a-doodle-doo) loudly some mornings, some afternoons. Any advice on the gender? I'd love it if it were a she, for she's the sweetest one of the bunch. Thanks for any input you may have. [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a cockerel! Lovely boy. [​IMG]

~Alex

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    x2

4. ceejstrak

ceejstrak New Egg

Jun 22, 2016
    Thanks for the quick replies. I've planned for it being a male, so we're going to have to say goodbye next week. Too bad roosters aren't allowed in the city. I really enjoy his company.

5. ladynewtochicks

ladynewtochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    Montana
    Definitely a boy my black australorp is 12 weeks and isn't even close to that big or red

[​IMG]

She is in the background here behind the SLW roo

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Yep, that's a cockerel. Pullets won't get that much of a comb until after 4 months old.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by