Black Australorp hen with one eye open one eye closed please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SixChicksNapa, Sep 14, 2010.

1. SixChicksNapa

SixChicksNapa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    My hen who is a little over a year old now is acting strangely. I went out in the yard to gather the eggs anedee i noticed that she was standing kind of hunched over with her right eye closed and her left eye open. When i clap my hands she will breifly open herr eye but then closes it immediately. I am extrmely worried because if she is sick i need to buy medicine right away. [​IMG] She is not moving around much and is hunkering down in one spot.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

-Jacob

2. SixChicksNapa

SixChicksNapa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    update !!! I picked her up and she perked up a little bit for a minute and ran away but then she closed the one eye again and then close the other currently my mom is holding her and she is pretty calm. We are thinking that she either is sick or one of our other hens pecked at her eyes.

- Jacob

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It would be nice if you could see if she has an eye injury. Hopefully there will be others that can help you sixchicks,

4. 4thSt.Chickenfarmer

4thSt.Chickenfarmer New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    I have a couple of hens with a similar problem and I am curious too........ except my hens are also wheezing.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by