Black Australorp Hen X Splash Orphington Roo???? HELP

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by bk15, Jan 28, 2017.

1. bk15

bk15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Okay I need everyone's knowledge Iam doing a test breeding on my roo to see how he produces before I go buy expensive blue Orphington hens!!! And Iam breeding black a 4 year old black australorp hen to my splash Orphington Roo. I think I will all blue chicks because that how those to colors work but I have been hearing that black chicks baby's have been born in that kind of breeding but there should not be black chicks there they should be all blue cause Splash X Black = 100% all BLUE. Ants ways I need some advice on anyone who has bred those to colors together and what color chicks did they cause Iam hoping for all Blue ONLY!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    True Splash x Black = All Blue.

3. bk15

Jul 22, 2016

Okay thanks that's what I thought but I herd that when u did that crossing with an australorp some of the babies came out black with that batch of chicks so could just the australorp gene cause black so dominant??

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No.

When you cross an Australorp with a lo of other colors, you'll get black chicks due to the dominant nature of the black. But, the genes that cause blue and splash actually act on/with the black color, not competing with it. So, it's not a matter of dominance, more of co-existance [​IMG].

Doing this will determine if your rooster is truly splash. If you get anything besides blue chicks, he's not pure somehow.

5. bk15

Jul 22, 2016
    Thanks for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by