Black Australorp hybrid??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StaceyLagana, Jan 5, 2015.

1. StaceyLagana

StaceyLagana New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    Hi,
    Can someone please confirm the breed of this chicken. I believe its a Black Australorp hybrid. It has a greenish sheen to the feathers when in the sunlight and she's a wonderful egg layer, very regular and large eggs.

Also, does anyone know if this type of chicken is sex-linked? And if so, how do I tell the girls from boys at day old age.

Thanks for your help! :)

[​IMG]

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Does the hen have some gold flecks in her breast feathers? If so, she's a black sex link.

However if you breed her, you will not get sex-linked babies. Sex-linking only works for the first generation.

3. StaceyLagana

StaceyLagana New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    She doesnt have gold flecks

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    There really is no,Australorp hybrid.

She looks like a Australorp.
    Is she very large

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She could be a "Australorp Hybrid".
    She looks like a Hatchery Quality Australorp which would in most cases make her a Hybrid.
    Most of the hatcheries out there sell chicken that have Mediterranean blood added to the line which makes the offspring a Hybrid and in some cases a Sex-link.

Example;
    Black Leghorn male over a Austalorp female would give you offspring that are all black birds, that can be sexed at birth and that are Hybrids.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like just an Australorp to me. I've never heard of an Australorp Hybrid.

7. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Me either

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've raised Black Australorps for years, and she looks like a Black Australorp to me (granted not a show quality one).

10. StaceyLagana

StaceyLagana New Egg

Jan 5, 2015
    Do all pure black australorps have black eyes?

Also, i have been putting a purebred black australorp rooster on her and the chicks i hatch in the incubator are mainly black but occassionally there is a brown one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by