1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp Limping, What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mewantseggs, Jul 23, 2011.

1. mewantseggs

mewantseggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I am new to dual purpose birds and am waiting to see what sex they will end up. I was out watching them today after they were fed and watered and I noticed my Black Australorp hen (99% certain its a hen) hobbling a bit and trying to stay off one leg. She wasn't moving that much preferring to rest more. After a while she was running around again and I was thinking she was better, but shortly after she starting playing and running around she began hobbling again. I am curious now on just what to do. Any suggestions?

Also, I am confused as to what to feed my chickens and if I should get them some grit. I spoke to different people and everyone says something different. One guy says to feed them the same grower feed as my meat kings, some say to feed starter for 4 months then switch to layer feed. When I asked about grit, I was told not worry about grit, and someone else told me that there is calcium in the layer feed so they didn't need grit. I thought the grit was to help digest food and they needed it. And I also thought the calcium was for egg production. I was planning on buying them some "normal shells" at 25% the cost of oyster shells, which I thought served two purposes, help in digestion and egg production. What is the best way to feed my chickens for optimum health and performance? And at what ages do I change feeds?

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Grower until they lay eggs then laying food. Grit yes if you feed them anything but crumbles or pellets. We give gravel it's cheap and they love it as we feed our girl everything! Table scraps yogurt, seeds and nuts. They need gravel to grind up foods other then the feeder foods. Corn, scratch etc. They need gravel. Now onto the foot or leg, did you see if there was something on his foot or leg? Injury? You have to look so you know. If there is no injury you can see ! my self i would cage him a few days to rest it in case there is something wrong inside.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Oh and I love my black asterlorps there so friendly!

4. mewantseggs

mewantseggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I went out to check my Australorp and found her perched up high between a Rhode Island Red and a Chantecler and was hoping she was better. I knew she wasn't when she didn't put up much fight when I picked her up. I turned her over and checked both legs and feet looking for any noticeable differences and found none. She is still hobbling but she has been separated from the rest. I guess all I can do now is sit back and wait. Thanks for the help. This website is awesome for me where I am new, but I imagine it will be a huge asset as long as I have chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by