Black Australorp? Make or female? Approximate age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kiavelle, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Kiavelle

Kiavelle New Egg

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Just looking to find some more information about my black chicken. I was told it was a female (a few months ago) and we are very sure it's male at this point.
    Unfortunately we are unable to house roosters at out residence and must return it if it's not a hen.
    Was hoping for some confirmation before we decide to take it back as it is a children's pet and didn't want to make the wrong decision.
    Also if anyone could give an approximate age (as we can't remember when we got it) that would be super awesome.
    Thankyou everyone [​IMG]

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Well,for one,it doesn't look like asutralorp.And I need a better leg,how old is he/she?

3. Kiavelle

Kiavelle New Egg

Dec 29, 2015
    I think it's about 4-5 months old but I just can't remember and I was only told it was an Australorp so I'm iffy about that too. Also the black one and the white Sussex run together so I can never get a good photo without each other. But they are the same age and that's why I thinking the black one is a male.
    Sorry, hope that helps.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Well,she looks like a game fighter to me,I would say a hen though,but i'm not sur5e.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Looks like a Black Minorca and Light Sussex pullet.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by