1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BLACK AUSTRALORP OR BLACK SEX-LINK PULLET????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JesNflock, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I got this pullet when she was 5 or 6 weeks old and was told she was a BA. She was completely black at the time, but recently she started feathering out some brown around her neck area, similar to my 6 month BSL pullet. She is now 13/14 weeks old. What breed do you think she is?

[​IMG]
    12-10-13

[​IMG]
    Thanks in advance for any input!!!

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Black Sex-Link. Mine look the same Also some Black Sex-Link have more red/brown around the neck than others, but BA's are completely black.

3. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking too (I have a BA pullet also and she is is black as midnight lol)
    So far my BSL pullet has been very regular since she started laying a couple of weeks ago (only had 2 days with no eggs from her) so I am happy to have another BSL especially if she lays anywhere near as well as my older one!

4. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Glad to help. My BSL's and RSL's are my best layers by far!

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If she's from a hatchery, a bsl. If she's from a backyard breeder, could be a bsl, could just be a mixed breed bird. But not a pure Aussie.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she's a Black Sex-Link (also known as a Black Star or Black Star Sex-Link). I bet you'll get lots of eggs from her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by