1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp or Jersey Giant?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DaveNay, Mar 31, 2016.

1. DaveNay

DaveNay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Northern Illinois
    Murray McMurray substituted my BA hens for JG hens but shipped the BA males I ordered.

Can anyone tell my if this chick is a BA or JG? I have heard that the black legs and feet are a telltale trait, but I can't recall for which breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maxh122801

maxh122801 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    looks more like an australorp to me

3. knightgang

knightgang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Southeast, GA
    From what I can find, their legs look the same.

I have a hen that I was having trouble deciding if she is a Black Australorp, a Jersey Giant or a Black Sex Link. I have 6 other BSL pullets that are 18 weeks old and I think I have decided that one hen is a BSL as well.

Not much help with you identification, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. DaveNay

DaveNay Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Northern Illinois
    Hmmmm....I found this post which says it's the underside of the foot that tells the difference.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/176156/black-australorp-or-black-jersey-giant#post_2115504

Quote:

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    black leg Barred Rocks usually mean female. that's the only black leg trait I know of although same might be for Dominiques as well.

6. knightgang

knightgang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Southeast, GA
    I thought I had heard something like that, but honestly I thought it was leg color, which I could not confirm. There may be a difference in skin color as well, white vs yellow, but I am not sure if this is accurate or which one is which.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by