Black Australorp or Speckled Sussex

oceansunset73

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
California
I plan on getting four more girls this spring to add to my current flock. I think I've narrowed it down, based on what my local feed store is receiving and when...
However I'm torn between the Black Australorp or the Speckled Sussex. I can't decide between the two. (Note: I currently have five Rhode Island Red/Production Reds that they will be integrated with). Which one would you choose? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

I have both. They are both great egg layers and both are very beautiful birds. I think I prefer the speckled Sussex because of the unique patterns on her feathers and she is just a bit more friendly than the black australorp

I've had both. Both are excellent layers and both are friendly. My Australorp laid bigger eggs than the Sussex. Are you getting 4 that would all be same breed? Or are you already decided on 1-3?

Unfortunately our feed store is getting both breeds in, several weeks apart from each other. Not close to around the same time. So there would be an age/size issue if trying to raise them all together in the same brooder.

Oh, okay. Well which breed are they getting first? I'd go for that choice.

I don't mind waiting if needed, I'm just more concerned about their temperment and being able to not get overly bullied by my exsisting reds.

I've had a lot of both breeds and I prefer Speckled Sussex.
They do lay smaller eggs than Australorps, but their personalities more than make up for it. In mixed flocks I find the Aust. can often be more of a bully to birds lower down on the pecking order while SS seem to get along with everybody, including other species of birds like ducks or turkeys.
SS are calm, confident, and they won't be put off by being picked up, carried around, or being made a pet of. While all chickens will squabble from time to time, I've never had a SS, even when in the top position in a flock, behave in a bullish manner or peck other birds. Aust. can and will freely.
And who doesn't love a red speckled full bodied bird? :love

Back
Top Bottom