Black Australorp Pics Please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pdxblossom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I was hoping fellow BA lovers could post pics of their 4 - 5 week old birds. My BA has developed quite the comb . . . and I'm worried she's a he. Trouble is, no roosters allowed in this town and I'll have to make other arrangements for him/her. Yes, I know it's hard to tell at this age, but I'm so stinkin attached that the sooner I figure it out the less my heart will be broken. My BA is quite the charmer.

I'm comparing her to my other two girls (light brahmas) and they show no comb at all. I don't know if it's just a breed difference. They are all the same age.

Thanks!

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I don't have any pictures handy, but figured I'd mention that my two black Australorp pullets - who are 15 weeks old - have barely any combs at all. One is starting to get the slightest pink comb and darker red cheeks, but the other just a hint of a greyish-pink comb starting. They had no combs whatsoever at 4-5 weeks. That's probably not what you wanted to hear... sorry!

3. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    My one BA roo started to develop a nice sized comb at 4-5 days old. Thankfully none of the others did; the BA were sold as straight run only so 1 roo to 4 pullets was pretty good I guess. Of my light brahma pullets, I have 11, some started developing a small comb at 7 weeks and others still have next to nothing- almost 10 weeks now. Can you post a picture?

4. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Noooooooo! Though somehow I already know it's the truth. Two of my three neighbors are chicken people. The third is on a permanently "out to lunch." I'm almost tempted to see what happens - if they complain about noise. Then again, I'm a rule follower by nature and don't want to end up in prison. Hee hee.

How does one give away a rooster? I don't want him to end up as someone's dinner.

5. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I will post a pictures as soon as I find my camera. It's been a crazy few weeks and I can't find the darn thing anywhere . . . it's my mission today to find it and post pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by