Black Australorp Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Just_Clucky84, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hi,
    I have three black pullets that are about three months old. They are all black with black feet. Their feathers have a greenish tinge to them as well. I think they are Australorps but I’m not 100% sure. It’s hard to find good pictures online. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    Sumatras have black feet... they look like hatchery sumatras to me. Australorps are big and fat, and I dont think they have black feet.

3. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Hard to say, but when I looked at the first picture I thought it was an Australorp because of the way the tail came up.

My Australorp has black feet, a greenish tint to her feathers and a beautiful U-shape to her body when she walks around. It's not strutting because she's the bottom of a six chicken pecking order; she just walks that way.

However, since her last molt, two of her tail feathers have grown in with a bit of white at the tips. Since she was a hatchery bird, I'm not surprised that there's a bit of mutt in her.

She's funny though, with that little horseshoe walk.

Mary

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Quote:X2

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

x3 They are not Australorps, wrong body shape. I'm not familiar with sexing Sumatra's but they both look like females to me.

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    yes sumatras

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I agree that her body shape is not right for a BA...my friend has hatchery quality BA`s that are slimmer in body with longer necks than mine but I think yours are not BA`s. I am not too familiar with Sumatras. Here is one of my BA pullets at 16 weeks for you for comparison
    [​IMG]

8. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    Just_Clucky84
    [​IMG]

i have and had australorps that looked allot like this at three month old ill post some pics tomorrow for a comparison (all hatchery quality eventually their shape changed to be more like Mrs. Feathers australorp)​

9. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
  10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Oh...just noticed your comment about their feet. Are they black on the bottom? The bottoms of BAs feet are white or pinkywhite...this might give you another clue as to if they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by