1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp really a jersey giant?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dchicken207, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    She was sold to me as a Black australorp but the bottom of her feet are yellow? so she's really a jersey giant? if so should I get rid of her for something else. I wanted the australorp for high egg production... thanks for any help.

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Sounds like she's a Jersey Giant...

If you're after an awesome layer, I'd trade her out for something else. Jersey Giants are usually not that great of layers and they eat a lot to maintain their large body size. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Could be a cross breed too. I LOVE Jersey Giants myself. Nearly 98% of my flock is Jerseys, so Im a bit biased! [​IMG]

Jerseys do need alot of feed since they get so big. But as for egg production, my experience is they lay the same as the Australorps I had, except the eggs are much bigger. They hardly let up in the winter, are very winter hardy, and are so tame and friendly!

One thing I noticed about my Australorps was they were very talkative, bok bok bok, all the time. My Jerseys are quieter by far.

IDK, its up to you, but I would never give up a Jersey if I had a choice! [​IMG]

Can you post a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by