Black Australorp - Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SEaton611, Jun 16, 2019.

1. SEaton611

SEaton611 Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    Midcoast Maine
    Hey all,

At the end of March, I got four black australorp babies. One of them has a more defined wattle than the others, and its feathers look more "pointed." I read on the forum that pointy saddle feathers could likely mean the bird is a rooster. The other three have rounded feathers, and less of the iridescent green in their tail. Plus, the other three have much smaller, paler wattles.

I initially came here to find someone to take this rooster in, but now I'm not so sure (I've asked to have the swap posting taken down for now...). My mom has a couple australorps too, hens, and they have similar pointy feathers on their saddle as well.

Aside from the differences in feather shape and wattle, this bird is only slightly bigger than the others gets along well with MOST of the flock, with exception to one who has been injured. It doesn't crow, and I recall the last accidental rooster i got crowing very early on...

Could this be a hen who developed quicker? If so, I can get along with working on her bullying so she won't pick on my hen who was scalped and picked clean of feathers on her head and neck early in the integration to my existing flock. (A mistake on my part, but she's healing so well!)

Can anyone help me determine? I've attached pictures with arrows pointing at the bird in question. I can probably get more this week.

I appreciate any input y'all have!

Thanks,
    Sam

Attached Files:

EggWalrus likes this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Oh yeah that one’s a cockerel for sure.

EggWalrus and SEaton611 like this.
  3. homeschoolin momma

homeschoolin momma Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Illinois
    Cockerel

EggWalrus and SEaton611 like this.
  4. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Looks like a little Roo.

SEaton611 and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  5. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I honestly can't decide about the saddle feathers in the pictures. Can you post more pics of the saddle area?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Looks like a cockerel to me too.
    Mary

SEaton611 and EggWalrus like this.
  7. SEaton611

SEaton611 Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    Midcoast Maine
    Well, when you put it this way it sounds cute. I really
    Yep! It's dark out now, but I'll post more when I have a chance to take some in the daylight!

8. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Get us some close up, clear pics from the side and from above and I'm sure some one here will give you a 100% accurate analysis of your cute little roo!
    Woo Hoo! :wee

SEaton611 likes this.
  9. SEaton611

SEaton611 Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    Midcoast Maine
    I have a couple that I got today. The chicken in question, Kylo, is the one with the brighter red wattle. I think, after staring at him for a good half hour today, folks will probably confirm my suspicion that he's a roo. His feathers are so different than my other three australorps. His personality is pretty good though, so...i might keep him.

Silly question - but if he stays and we have a couple fertilized eggs, will there be anything weird about those eggs if i harvest after a day and refrigerate? I know there won't be a partially formed chick in there, but want to know what I'm getting into. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

BreanneRN likes this.
  10. BreanneRN

BreanneRN Songster

Jun 8, 2017
    Central CA
    Yup, I think you called it right! It's a roo!

SEaton611 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: