Black Australorp, rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rqceili, Jan 20, 2014.

1. rqceili

rqceili New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    I have two beautiful black australorps in my flock, one is much beefier than the other, it doesn't crow or try to breed with the other chicks but it also doesn't lay eggs. He/she is one year old and should be doing something one way or the other. Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] A year old rooster should have pointy hackle and saddle feathers.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    A rooster will also have a larger comb/wattles and should be crowing by now. Sometimes hens won't lay if they are going through molt, stressed, sick, etc.

4. rqceili

rqceili New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    If saddle feathers means a very feathery bottom, then yes he/she has that. I don't know what you mean by pointy hackle. If I knew how I would try to send a picture, I'm not very computer savvy.

5. rqceili

rqceili New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you, this guy/girl looks to be the picture of health. The headgear is slightly larger than the hen but not remarkably so.

6. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
  7. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Without a pic, my guess is hen. I have seen hens be a year old before they started laying but I've never seen a rooster a year old before it crowed. Also, if the comb isn't that much larger than the other hens, it is more than likely a hen. Of course, that is just a guess.

8. rqceili

rqceili New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Thank you for that link, it is very helpful. I had chickens when I was younger but never knew what all their parts were called in that much detail. I guess I will have to wait and see what progresses when the weather warms up and the days get longer. Maybe it's a hen after all and just a late bloomer.

9. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    You're welcome! I've heard of hens who end up waiting until their second spring before they start laying but either way Good luck to you on this! When you find out please let us know! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by