black australorp rooster

sherrihargrove

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
i have a black australorp rooster and what i believe to be an Americana hen. will the off spring lay blue eggs? They are 23 weeks old and no eggs yet. watching daily and very excited.

Last edited:
If the Easter Egger / Ameraucana hen lays blue eggs at least some of her pullets will lay colored eggs... (the blue egg shell gene is a dominant, so the hen only needs one copy to lay colored eggs herself)... exactly how many of her pullets will lay colored eggs will depend if the hen has 1 or 2 copies... if she has 1 then half her pullets will, if she has 2 copies all of her pullets will... they will probably lay greenish eggs though, since green comes from brown + blue and the Australorp father would carry for brown egg color. Hope those first eggs show up soon!

Your Ameraucana hen is likely an Easter Egger as opposed to a true Ameraucana, which means it carries both a blue egg gene and a brown egg gene. When crossed with the Black Australorp, she will likely give some of the chicks her blue egg gene which means they will lay green eggs, and she will likely give other chicks her brown egg gene, which means they will lay brown eggs.

thanks, just have to wait cause the baby girls won't do anything til early spring. my big girls should start anytime.

Your Ameraucana hen is likely an Easter Egger as opposed to a true Ameraucana, which means it carries both a blue egg gene and a brown egg gene. When crossed with the Black Australorp, she will likely give some of the chicks her blue egg gene which means they will lay green eggs, and she will likely give other chicks her brown egg gene, which means they will lay brown eggs.
X2

x3

Back
Top Bottom