black australorp rumpless????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mojo Chick'n, May 20, 2008.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Heya all.

I have a q - and I'll get some pics tomorrow (if I have time, the parents are visiting) - but....

I got four black australorp chicks - they are now 9 weeks old, and two of them appear to be rumpless. Will their tails grow in, and is it just too early for them? Are they crossed with something? Could they be Black Ameraucanas?

I got them at the feedstore, so I picked them out of a large tub - all breeds and sexes mixed. They looked just like the Black Australorp babies - but no tails grew on them.

Makes me go Hmmmm.....

Peace -
    Meriah

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I dunno but I know both of my girls have tails at 9 weeks and have had for some time...Do you have pics of them as babies and now? Post them, they might help get this figured out for you.

This is Holly at 7 weeks old:

[​IMG]

This is Molly at 7 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the girls as babies:

Molly:
    [​IMG]

Holly:
    [​IMG]

Maybe someone else has had BAs that were like that and they can help.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Funny you should ask this...I have a black austrolorpe tail question too! My black austrolorpe is 3 1/2 weeks old. She's had tail feathers for a while, but they stick straight up! What's up with that? Her tail is now 2 or 3 inches and it goes straight up! My other chicks all have smaller tails that gently aim down. I don't have any other austrolorpes to compare mine to like you do. Maybe it has something to do with gender? Are yours supposed to be all girls? I'll be very curious to see what others have to say, anxious for some photos too so I can compare my little one to yours!

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Post your pics lets see them......what comb type do your BA have, you should be able to feel the tail bone on them even if the feathers are missing..Just grab back there and feel for the tail bone.

Charlie

5. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    well my roo that I bought at TSC supposed to be BA , has started to grow tail feathers (7 wks) but they are curling up towards his back , not sure what's up with that.

6. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Here are my ba chicks. The only time their tails are down are when they are sleeping. John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    They're beautiful!!! And I think that must be it....their rumps have attitude![​IMG]

8. Mojo Chick'n

Ok, here's a pic of one of them as chicks, All four looked like the one black and whitish when I got them.

[​IMG]

And now one without tail.
    [​IMG]

Not the best pic, but her comb is like the other black head poking towards the dish.

Hope these help.

Peace-
    Meriah

9. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    that is how my roo looked for awhile now he is starting to get tail feathers , today they don't look as curled as they have looked, maybe their tails are just slow to develop, my pullet has a tail. Oh well no worries for me . I bought these guys from TSC cause I just couldnt stand the wait until my chicks were delivered from MMM.

10. Mojo Chick'n

Quote:I thought these two might be roos, they are more agressive than the two with tails.

On another note, I have an ameraucana teenager that is simply beautiful, he is also fearless, (I think it's a roo) I've been calling him Attila, LOL. I hope I end up with more hens than roos - I'm really tired of the roo population around here, LOL.

Peace -
    Meriah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by