1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black australorp sexing 8 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by City Chicken, Nov 29, 2013.

1. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I believe that the first two photos are all female, the last two all male. At 8 weeks i see a significant difference between the males and females.... The males combs are turning red, the females are still black/grey and small.

I would like for others who have black australorps to confirm my findings for this breed.
    This is my first batch of black australorps.

2. [​IMG] That one in front looks like a rooster. If you could get better pictures of them that would help.

3. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    They are camera shy.... The second two pictures all have bright red combs. The first two lack any redness to their combs at all.

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I saw at least 1 rooster possibly more. Mostly pullets it looks like. Difficult needs a little better picture.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First pics look like pullets, and they look so happy scratching in the leaves!

I can't be sure all the last pics are roosters. I see at least 2 roos in each pic, but can't see all the birds well enough to tell.

6. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Could you get close-ups on them?
    From the pictures I can't really tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by