Black Australorp V. Black Sex Link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoSleepTillBrooklyn, Apr 6, 2011.

1. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I can't find a satisfactory answer to this question. Does anyone have a definition of what is the difference? Do they look the same? Are the terms used interchangeably?

Just curious. [​IMG]

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Australorps are a specific breed, with a standard of perfection. They breed true and consistent.
    Black sex-links are a cross of a non-barred rooster over a barred hen. The hens are black with red/brown on the neck/chest and the roosters are barred black and white. You can tell boys from girls at hatch, hence the term sex-link. They are a one-mating hybrid and will not breed true. There is quite a variation in coloring as to the amount of red present.

So, very different. Both usually docile and great layers.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Australorps are a true breed. They are completely black; large; made in Australia. Very people friendly, and bird friendly.

BSL's are a crossed bird, black with varying degrees of red leakage in the head/neck/chest. Made by crossing barred hen with non barred roo. People friendly, bird aggressive.

Both are prolific layers, though BA's lay for longer period of their lives than BSLs.

5. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay. I'm wondering if my chicks are BSL or BA. Not sure how I'll differentiate. Hmmmm....not that it matters. So long as there are eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by