Black Australorp? What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PiecesofAmber, May 26, 2012.

1. PiecesofAmber

PiecesofAmber In the Brooder

I have chicks for the first time, and like many others, I'm trying to identify them. Here's a pic of what I think is a black Australorp. Do you agree? [​IMG]
    Also...what would the black and gray speckled one be? I'm having a hard time with this, going between a couple different sites. I got the meat and egg combo from McMurray, it's their egg layers, broilers, and that's with a couple of rare breeds thrown in. Here's another pic:
    [​IMG] I know I have a buff cochin, a golden polish, but the gray ones I'm having trouble with. Doesn't the one in the pic above look blue? Maybe a blue andalusian? In the background are the yellow and gray and black ones...columbian wyandottes? Please Help! :)

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. PiecesofAmber

Check out my little golden Polish! He's adorable with his little afro. :)[​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    on the black pinkish white feet bottoms= australrop yellow= jersey giant

the other looks blue what type of comb?

4. PiecesofAmber

Thank you for the hints...I now know it's an Australorp, and as for the one that looks blue: a single comb. [​IMG]

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    it could be a blue Andalusian

6. PiecesofAmber

I think so too, and I think the ones that I thought were Colombian Wyandottes are Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

7. PiecesofAmber

OK..so now I think they are silver sebrights! Wow... this is fun, but challenging. There's one chick left that I'm not sure about. It's a small white one with a few gray spots. I'll know someday. :)

8. Peeps4me

Peeps4me Chirping

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You are going to have fun watching them develop to know for sure what breeds you have. Enjoy those cute chicks!

9. PiecesofAmber

Identifying these chicks is kind of an obsession of mine right now, one I feel a little silly about! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: