Black Australorp with broken neck skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefuzz4, Sep 16, 2016.

1. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Howdy everyone,

We just started with our first flock this year since they are now legal in our city. I wish I was introducing myself under a better circumstance. I have one black australorp that I found this afternoon being cleaned by one of our dogs. She's acting fine and all except for the cleaning part by the dog. Our dogs have never hurt the chickens they typically just leave them be but this was odd.

A friend who grew up on a chicken farm said this looks like another chicken hit her. She's still acting fine but I just don't know what to do. There is an obvious break here but no blood or anything. Will this just heal back up on its own?

We did have a coon in the area the other night but the dogs did a good job keeping it out of the yard. Should I move her inside for now?

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Looks like a minor tear. I'd recommend cleaning it, applying some Neosporin, and checking it daily to be sure the flies don't get to it. It should heal just fine.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If you rinse it out with chlorhexidine (you can get it at Walgreens by the hydro perox), that will disinfect it and you can skip the Neosporin... flies LOVE warm, gooey places.

Either way works fine. Just check her regularly. :)

MrsB

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    AND!!!!

[​IMG]

MrsB

5. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Thank you both so much for your advice. We're going to go get some of the chlorhexidine for her and we'll just apply that daily. How long do you think it'll take to heal? Oh and @MrsBrooke thank you for the warm welcome. This just scared the heck out of me because this particular bird is so sweet.

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Chickens are surprisingly resilient and heal very well on their own.

We had a hen sliced almost to the bone from an over-zealous rooster. I did the chlorhexidine rinse every day for a week with high-protein foods (boiled eggs!), and she was back out in the yard after two weeks. Other than a scar, she's right as rain and still laying!

MrsB

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by