1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynne in Maine, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Lynne in Maine

Lynne in Maine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    She's about 2 years old. For about 2 weeks now, she has had greenish-yellow very soft or liquid poo. We have washed her backside with warm soapy water twice just to make her more comfortable, but it comes right back. She is still eating and drinking and getting around.with the others, but hasn't been laying. Just today I noticed that she is fluffing up her feathers and walking with her back sort of hunched up. What could this be? Thanks so much.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Has she been wormed?

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I don't think the OP said she had seen worms in her poo.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Intestinal worms are not always visible to the naked eye.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    While she can still eat and drink on her own, it would be a good idea to run Amprolium in the water for seven days, and withhold any scratch or hard grains from the diet. I'd worm all of them too if you haven't done so recently. Egg laying always lessens in Autumn when they are in moult or at the onset of moult. They eat less sometimes and don't get the nutrient intake they need during this time. That is when immunity is down and susceptibility to disease can happen unless feed/water is supplemented with adequate nutrients to help them along.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. Lynne in Maine

Jul 2, 2012
    I looked at that website yesterday. She seems a lot healthier than the buff-colored chicken in the photo lower on the page. But she looks exactly like the black chicken on that home page, with her neck and chest all puffed up. We cleaned her up again this morning in a warm bath, and isolated her in a warm place on the porch. She ate several tablespoons of sweet potato with olive oil and drank some water, and now she's resting. We're going to check right now to see if we can feel an egg, and I'll post again. Thanks for your help.

8. Lynne in Maine

Jul 2, 2012
    We haven't wormed them for over a year, but haven't had any issues with worms, either. I know you can't always see them, but none of the others are having these symptoms. We're going to check for an unlaid egg and go from there. Thanks so much.

9. Lynne in Maine

Jul 2, 2012
    I don't think she is egg bound. We were able to hold her and feel for an egg or just for any unusual firmness around the vent and up towards the belly, but everything feels nice and soft to the touch. There were some droppings in the carrier she was in and we looked at those with a magnifying glass, but couldn't see anything that could be worms. Maybe we should worm them all anyway, as was suggested by Michael Apple, before the others start showing symptoms. When we put her back with the flock, she immediately found herself a place in the sunshine and seemed to fall asleep on her feet. Definitely something wrong with her, but at least she's eating and drinking for now, although she has lost weight. We'll keep an eye on her and get the worming meds.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Even though she is 2 years, she still could have coccidiosis with her symptoms of hunching up (also called puffed up,) ruffled feathers, and the yellow-green diarrhea. A 5 day treatment of Corid would do her no harm. Most of the time, worms and their eggs are not easily seen, but most chickens have some worms. The last possibility I could think of is her possible having egg yolk peritonitis or being an internal layer. They will walk funny, wobble, and stand upright sometimes. Diarrhea is common, and abdominal pain. A vet could help diagnose it, but if she hasn't laid in awhile, or has a history of laying thin shelled eggs or having a broken egg inside, it may be what she has. They can lose weight, and may have fluid or swollen tissue that accumulates in the lower belly. A vet would probably treat that with penicillin, amoxicillin, or baytril.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by