Black Australorp with diarrhea

She was so much weaker today. She ate a little, but didn't want to move around at all. I put her on the porch for the day and called around to see if I could find a vet that would look at a chicken, and I found one. When I came home to take her for the appointment, she had collapsed and was barely breathing. We got her to the vet, but she recommended that we put her down and have a necropsy, which we did. As it turns out, she had uterine cancer. The cancer had kept an egg from forming properly, it had abscessed and burst, and that is what caused her quick decline today. I'm so sorry to lose her, but glad it was nothing contagious.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I appreciate your interest and concern.

RIP, Patty.

I'm sorry for your loss, and glad that she is not suffering. Oviduct cancer is just another illness that is as common as internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis. It's good that you were able to get an answer from your vet so quickly.

We got her to the vet, but she recommended that we put her down and have a necropsy, which we did. As it turns out, she had uterine cancer. The cancer had kept an egg from forming properly, it had abscessed and burst, and that is what caused her quick decline today. I'm so sorry to lose her, but glad it was nothing contagious.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I appreciate your interest and concern.

RIP, Patty.
I am sorry that happened. I had a Buff Rock that was shown to have oviduct cancer. I nursed her to no success and that was why. Australorps are generally a sturdy breed and one of my favorites. I have a hen that turned 10 years this year. You're welcome and sorry the assistance didn't help your hen.

So very sorry for your loss.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom