Black Australorp X White Wyandotte ????s

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aiden Kendall, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Aiden Kendall

Aiden Kendall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2009
    Wrightsville, GA
    Does anyone have any cross breeds of the chickens in the title? I have an Australorp rooster over White Wyandotte pullets and was wondering what colors I might get. These are hatchery birds so I have no ideas of the genetic breakdown(to use the calculator) of either or if that matters.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or if you might have 1st hand knowledge of this cross, I'd appreciate any input.

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I am not a genetics person but your question intrigued me LOL! This is the answer I got off of WikiAnswers:

If you crossed a black hen/roo with a white hen/roo, the offspring would NOT be blue.

If one was recessive white, then the offspring shoud be white.

Otherwise, it should be a black, maybe with some markings.

The only way to produce 100% blue chicks is to cross a black roo over splash hens or a splash rooster overblack hens.

BUT I also got this answer from another source:
    A cross of a white hen with a black rooster produces erminette-color offspring

I know our genetic gurus will chime in here and we will know for sure [​IMG]

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'm pretty sure White Wyandottes is one of those breeds where you can't tell what color they are masking under the white, therefore you can't really predict what will result of the cross without just experimenting.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with Rareroo; wyandottes can carry dominant white, barring, silver or gold, the pattern gene and melanotic, columbian, and have a few different E loci. You will have to do the cross and see what happens.

Tim

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If I'm not mistaken you can breed Aussie x Leghorn which gives you an Austra White. But, not sure what your combo would make.

6. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I came across this thread because I have some white Wyandotte/roo, black Australorp/hen chicks.. I have a few crossed chicks in and some pure Orpingtons. I have quite a lot of blue Orpington/roo x black Australorp/hen chicks, but they are all the same. They come out with yellow toes/feet black legs and look in general like black and yellow penguins, and have a few more yellow markings on their face, with MAYBE white wing tips as feathers come in. They also get theirs mother's iridescence as soon as they feather. However the chicks in question are pure black, with black legs AND toes, also pure black beaks. I call them my little crows. So I think they are the Wyandotte x Australorp. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by