Black Australorp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whitecra, Oct 25, 2009.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I was wondering if there is a way to tell if these are pullets or roos when they hatch. Some one game me 4 dozen eggs to hatch out. I will have some eggs left if anyone wants any.
    Chris

2. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    When they are really little babies you will not be able to tell.....ALTHOUGH....BluegrassSeramas and I have come up with this method that seems to work about 75% of the time........ You pick up the little chick gently and turn it upside-down and if the little chick hold its feet down and rests, then its a girl. If the little one kicks and kicks and won't stop or if it holds both legs up towards its head its a boy.
    I don't remember where we heard this but I do it all the time, and I have been right and wrong.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Heres something funny I heard down the road at one show or another, The old timers used to take a hat, Like a straw wider brimmed hat and threw it like a frizbee over the container the chicks were in.
    The hen chicks would freeze and duck down, the cockerals would stand right up straight and look around and make that rooster noise, like a warning even thou they were new.
    Is it true and does it work? Ive never tried it so dont know. someone on ebay was selling some gadget guarenteed to tell eggs that are y from eggs that were x. thought that was funny too. wouldnt it be funny if it worked?
    You never know what little tid bits you can pick up from people.

Wonder if anyone has actually tried these?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It would be enteresting to hear all the ways that people try to tell when gender the chicks are.
    Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by