Black Australorp

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bisqit&Gravy, May 25, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Are these good chickens as far as temperament? All it said in one of my catalogs were hens around 5 lbs. Is that too small for a standard NN?
    I saw some of these the other day that were 4 wks old. I was checking out the combs on them and noticed a difference. Is it obvious to tell at that age?

My NN is very lonely and it's killing me. He's outside now b/c he stunk the room up. It wasn't bad until I had to turn the AC on and the smell went all thru the house. I have him set up next to my 6 wk old bantys. He wants with them really bad but they are mean to him. He chirps constantly way past dark:-(

The place I saw them had tons of standard chickens ranging from day old to adult. They will be open tomorrow and I'm really thinking about going back and hope I can find pullet or two the same age as him.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Austrolrps have wonderful kind temparments and you could probably take a good guess at the sex at 4 wks, for they are very much like orpingtons
    make sure you get enough, you can always sell them later [​IMG]
    have fun

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. kray

kray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Chicken Obsessed-How do you tell the sex of Black Australorps at 4 wks?

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    That's good to know. If I pick the ones with the smallest combs I should be safe, right....I hope...hahaha

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:generally their wattles and combs are more developed if they are boys but I wouldnt completely rely on it,,,,orpingtons are the same way

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Bisqit&Gravy :

That's good to know. If I pick the ones with the smallest combs I should be safe, right....I hope...hahaha

[​IMG] [​IMG]

thus the xtras​

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I also try to compare leg size and then look in their face long and hard and look for the pretty and dainty ones [​IMG]

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    austrolorp:

good egg layer
    calm temperment
    econimical eater

the more you hold them the tamer they will be

[​IMG] not sure about sexing thing

1 person likes this.
  9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I love my Austrolorp. She is my favorite by far. I couldn't help you with the sexing thing, but hopefully at 4 wks, you can tell a bit of a difference.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The first chickens I ever had was a whole bunch of A-lorps. They were super birds - everything everyone says about them is true.

Get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by