Black Australorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UnionMan, Feb 10, 2013.

1. UnionMan

UnionMan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    I was sold the two birds on the left as sexed black australorp pullets. I'm a 99.9% sure they are pullets but the being australorps is what I'm questioning. They both are black with a green hue in sunlight but one pictured now has feathers going down her legs. And has some gold/copper feathers showing up on her neck.
    [​IMG]

2. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    Sorry. I mean both birds on the right.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? The comb and wattles on the one in the middle worries me. I think you're right; with feathers on the legs, they can't be Australorps, but they might be Australorp crosses.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not Aussies if they're not clean legged and pure black. Who knows what else, depends on what the seller had. Feather legged and reddish color may be a black copper marans.

5. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    In the picture they are around 15-16 weeks. This is going off the age the seller said they were. Which is also who said they were pure australorps. They are around 24 or so weeks old now and the one is showing the copper colored feathers and has feathered feet. The other one is still all black with clean feet. I'm not to worried about pure breeds since I just have a small mixed flock for eggs. Just like to know what chicken breeds I have.

6. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    This is what I think.

7. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    Here are some updated pictures. If you look closely I tried to get a picture showing the gold/copper feathers coming thru on her neck. Also a picture of her shanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Sorry but Black Australorp's have red earlobes. They are still beautiful. :thumbsup

10. lori stetson

lori stetson Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Bedford, VA
    I raise 4 different breeds including australorps and your pullets look a lot like the light brahma over australorps and australorp over americanas that I was raising before i got all my pens finished.
    Both crossea were great layers and I have to agree that the middle bird looks like a roo. Their combs tend to start developing pretty early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by