Black Australorp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Triumph, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Triumph

Triumph New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    I just baught 8 black aus. Chicks from TC. I was told they make great broilers? Is that true? I know they are great layers and are dual purpose. I currently have 8 laying barred rock and brahmas. I Was originally looking for meat birds, but do not want to sell myself short of great layers. If they are not GREAT meat birds then I will add them to my flock and enjoy them. I've done some research and found mixed reviews. Thank you for any response.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! They are very nice birds, and in theory the cockrels will be nice sized meat birds. Unfortunately, most hatcheries select only for egg production, so the chicks may not reach standard weights for the breed, but be on the small side. Great layers, good personalities, and maybe smaller carcass weights. I do like mine, but wouldn't be a first choice to fill the freezer. You might have a nice rooster to keep, though. Mary

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A 'broiler' is usually a bird that will reach good butcher weight before about 16 weeks of age......
    .......young enough to broil, bake, grill, etc.

Older birds are usually only good for a long low temp, slow cook for stews and soups in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker will work too.

You can eat any chicken at any age, but that age will determine the best way to cook it....
    ....and as always, let the cleaned carcass sit in the fridge for 24-72 hours before cooking or freezing so rigor mortis can pass or it might be tough no matter how you cook it..

4. Triumph

Triumph New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Thank you for the info. I will def. be hanging on to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by