Black Australorps? 1 Pullet and All Roos? - Pictures - Please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jt673, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Hello, I am new to this forum and am seeking input from those with more experience. Thank you in advance. Below are pics of our baby chicks who were brooded by a Black Australorp for 2 weeks and fathered by a RIR who had more black/green sheen feathers than I expected.

They are now approx. 4 weeks old. All have combs except for one. The sing;e one who does not have a comb is the only one with a long tail and almost fully feathered with the black/green sheen feathers. This one is also the most stand offish. All eat out of my hand right away but this one. This one has to warm up to me a bit first.

Three of the other ones seem to have reddish black fuzz on their heads in my opionion. Are they roos? And are they all BA's just a potential of a few roos?
    Thank you!

Pic 1
    [​IMG]

One with the reddish (to me) head is in the front.
    Pic 2
    [​IMG]

Pic 3
    [​IMG]

Pic 4
    [​IMG]

Pic 5
    [​IMG]

Pic 6
    [​IMG]

The red head and one with no comb are in the top left corner..
    Pic 7
    [​IMG]

The only one with a long tail is in the front
    Pic 8
    [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you got at least 3 boys.... maybe 4.

3. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    That's what I feared.. [​IMG] I am getting too attached to have that many roos. Will they get along in the same coop and run? A few of them are already jumping and bumping chest with eachother around the kennel when I put them outside. At first, I thought with my limited knowledge, that maybe they were all pullets with the exception of the one who has the long tail and no comb. That may be one of the pullets?

Do you think the ones with the reddish black fuzz on their heads are the roos? Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Does anyone think the single one with a long tail and no comb is a roo or pullet? Picture #8

Thanks!

5. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Sounds like the one with the tail and no comb is the only pullet you may have... But I don't know, I know for SLW's the tail on pullets are bigger at 1 week old than for males.

6. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    wow, the person that we got them from had all pullets in their last group of chicks. Does it really look like we got all the roos and 1 pullet? I love them all....., won't the roos fight as they get older? They already jump around bumping their chests.

Thanks

7. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Well I was taking a guess as far as the tail feathers went, are they all the same age? I have all my roosters who are 17 weeks now in the same coop/run together and let them out all day. They fight but its nothing major (they don't kill each other but they don't have spurs yet) You'll be able to tell at that age whether you have mostly roosters because the hackle and saddle feathers come in. We're going to cull our excess roosters, we have like 12.

8. jt673

jt673 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    Yes, they are all the same age. In the sun today, a few of them have pinkish combs coming in while the others are still orange. This gives us an idea of what to possibly expect later. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by