Black Australorps. 5 weeks, do we have a Roo or Runt?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hawcreek chicks, Feb 1, 2017.

1. hawcreek chicks

hawcreek chicks Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2017
    Chicken newbies here. We have our first small flock. 2 EE and 2 BA. One of the Australorp's is at least 2x the size of the other, fully feathered while the other is still fuzzy. Do we have a Roo or a Runt?

Picks below.

g[​IMG]

Big Fat Mama is on the left, buttercup is next to her. Born from same litter.
    Same on next 3 pics. the two on right are EE. All the 'crowns' are pale, not red

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is big fat mama

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Both of the Australorps look like cockerels to me. A lot of comb for so young.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It hard to see the little one. It could be stunted. I don't think the bigger one is a rooster. Watch for pink combs at that age, any pullets won't get pink until they are a bit older, they will stay a yellow orange.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

6. whatdaflockfarm

whatdaflockfarm Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I raise and breed both of these breeds and I'd say you've got all pullets. Black Australorp cockerels have dark pink to light red combs and wattles by 5 weeks of age. The pullet's combs and wattles will remain skin-tone to pale pink until maturity at 4 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by