Black Australorps birth token white chick

MysteryChicken

Unique minded, open minded Chicken Lover
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2018
East, Tawas Michigan
Yeah, my California White is getting pretty dingy and needs to molt. But my SLW isn't looking good either because her feathers are so worn that the pattern is blurry and one of the two Blue Australorps is more of a sun-faded taupe than blue anymore.
My colored birds get faded too, but that's only up until they molt, then their colors are good as new again. I love it when new feathers replace the old.

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
Are you 100% sure they are Australorps? White Javas are recessive and do pop up in Black flocks. In fact, that's how they were re-discovered.

But yes, the chick is recessive white. Breeding it to another sibling that is white will guarantee 100% White chicks. If it is a pullet and you only have the one male, he is certainly carrying the gene. Cross the daughter to him and about half of their chicks will be white.

Rhodebar Lover

Brahma Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Tennessee, USA
Are you 100% sure they are Australorps? White Javas are recessive and do pop up in Black flocks. In fact, that's how they were re-discovered.

But yes, the chick is recessive white. Breeding it to another sibling that is white will guarantee 100% White chicks. If it is a pullet and you only have the one male, he is certainly carrying the gene. Cross the daughter to him and about half of their chicks will be white.
They don't look to be Javas to me. They should have yellow skin :)

Khoisun

Chirping
Sep 30, 2021
Windhoek, Namibia
My Coop
My Coop
Thank you all! This is so cool:celebrate
I was planning on line breeding anyway, so this little birdie has just secured its place in one of the breeding flocks.
I didn't like completely white birds until this happened:jumpy
So now I will be breeding black australorps & white australorps!

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
On my mottleds they showed the yellow. The chicks just looks to me (along with the parents) to have white skin from what I could see. I will say it's strange that the white chick has a yellow beak though...
My Whites had slate legs.
White Javas.jpg
Blue-laced Red Wyandotte Hen w White Javas in Background.jpg

Mottled did show yellow, yes...but no pics of them.

The Black Java pics I have...
Black Javas.jpg

Looks kind of slate to me in the background?

Hatchery Australorp for comparison...
Black Australorps (Hatchery Quality).jpg

Ughh, of course, his feet were dirty and the girls aren't at a good angle. Looks kind of slate-ish also.

Feathersite Black Javas those look dark to me. Even some of the mottled are dark too, which is weird.

Top Bottom