Black Australorps....Burned out or Preparing to Molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dirtsaver, Oct 22, 2011.

1. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Calling for help from Australorp (hatchery birds) people! Do Australorps burn out in a year to 18 months or are they starting into a molt? We got our Aussies back in the spring of last year. They started laying around 21 weeks and laid an average of 5 eggs a week per bird up until a month ago. We now are getting maybe an egg a day from our 6 Aussies combined and sometimes we find an egg on the poop board(sometimes a shell-less one). Our new girls(3 Speckled Sussex,2 Welsumers and 2 Buff Bramhas) have been laying 8 weeks now and are giving an average of 5 eggs a day combined.

They all are eating Layena crumbles free-choice and free-ranging in the backyard most every day and get limited treats.

The Australorps are looking really ratty and dull and have never gone through a full molt.

So.....do they burn out this quick,are they starting to molt or is there maybe some other problem we've overlooked? I will say the Layena crumbles,which has worked well for us for a long time,now seems to have an excess of dust in it(maybe5-10 pounds per bag)and we are beginning to question the quality but this springs additions to the flock are all fat,sassy and shiny.

Any thoughts or similar experiences anyone?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are getting ready to molt. They still have a long time of good laying ahead of them. They may slow down slightly in frequency, but they make up for it in egg size.

Good luck.

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    It is probably a combination of molt and weather change. I have a 3 year old Aussie that still lays, not every day mind you but a couple of times a week.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Thanks CMV and bgelber ! We were thinking it was kind of late in the season to molt,what with winter coming on but they sure do need new feathers! Looks like I need to double-check the coop for drafts. Don't need any frozen half-naked chickens!

5. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I have four BAs, and I would agree with the above posters! Mine still haven't laid *or* gone through their first molt, but everything I have read lines right up with how your girls are acting. They just do everything in their own time, I am finding out! [​IMG]

6. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    Quote:Half naked chickens, my back yard looks like a couple of chickens exploited but it's just from molting.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, my yard is looking like some sort of demented pillow fight took place. Chickens, ducks, goose... Egads!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by