1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorps & Golden Buffs.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CarolinaGirl, May 19, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm considering adding 2 pullets of each to my flock when the FS gets them in a couple weeks. However, someone told me Australorps are aggressive? And I've heard very little about Golden Buffs. I actually thought he meant Buff Orpingtons until I got home and found the breed on Meyer.

Basically, if you have either breed, what are the pros and cons, really, if that's not asking too much! My only pros are my brooder will be empty then and I need to refill it, gosh darn it! [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I don't know about Golden Buffs, never heard of them, but I know about my BAs and BOs. They are sweet and inquisitive, very much the busy-bodies and will follow you everywhere just to see if you have food. Practically climb in your lap. I have one BA that I call Fanny that likes to just be near me. If I am sitting in the yard or working close by, she will leave the flock and shadow me, cocking her head like she wants to say something. I did not raise these birds, they were given to me and were very wild when I got them. Now I have trouble moving around in my henhouse without stepping on one! I think you will like both breeds! [​IMG]

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I've never raised the Golden Buffs either, but I've had both BO's and BA's and I agree with Beekissed. Their the friendliest, gentlist breeds we've ever had. I think you'll be happy with your BA's. Good Luck!

4. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    My BO's I have to watch since they follow me everywhere and are always under foot...and they are roosters!
    Mine are also fearless and will stand up to much larger and older hens and roosters, plus they don't let the cats bother them either...they just to the stare-down until the cat gets bored (my cats are just big softies anyway.)
    I would highly recommend them as pets/barnyard chickens!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Golden Buffs must be a sexlink hybrid layer.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    We have four Black Australorp hens that are just over a year old now. They are so sweet.. my children can easily pick them up and pet them. They come running when they see us and I would highly recommend them!

We had an Australorp Roo and he turned very aggressive around five to six months old. We had to rehome because he would attack my children. He was a great protector of his flock though.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:This, from Meyer's Hatchery: ". . . Golden Buff . . . Also known as Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Boven Brown, Red Sex Link."
    Australorps are my choice for a backyard hen. I just think they are the best [​IMG]. I've got to say tho', that I've never had sex-linked chickens [​IMG]- only Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Barred Rocks and an odd this-and-that.

Steve

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    sexlinks have pretty nice personality

I have a few

9. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I remember from past experience with Golden Comets that they are very good egg layers but I can't remember how friendly they were. However I have a black sexed pullet and BA pullet and roo who are 6 wks old and right now they are very friendly the sex linked pullet is one of the first to greet me, right behind her are my BO, they are my favorites , they are so friendly and always want attention.

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can add a vote for the BA's - very gentle and friendly!!

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by