1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorps not laying or dust bath?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by makern12, Feb 23, 2009.

1. makern12

makern12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    It is so weird I go in the backyard and one of the chickens will be squated down with her wings out looking like she is getting ready to lay an egg and NOTHING. Is she taking a dust bath or laying trying to lay an egg but just constipated?[​IMG]

2. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That's just her doing the hen 'squat.' It's what they do so that the rooster can mate with them. When the hens do that for you it just means that they are acknowledging your place as head 'rooster' of the flock. [​IMG]

3. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    That is interesting thanks for letting me know I thought they were getting ready to lay but they haven't in over a week so I was just curious.

4. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    They usually start doing that shortly before they start laying so keep an eye out for your first eggs!

5. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Thanks they have done that a handful of times but no eggs yet. I bought them a week ago and they stopped laying after I got them...[​IMG]

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Mine do that all the time, I usually just put my hand on their back and rub them a little, then they get up and walk off. It started right before they started laying.

7. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Do I want them to get up or just continue to do this?

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If they squat, just give them a good feather ruffling. It'll satisfy the mating urge without being too pervy for you. [​IMG] It's a good thing that they squat for you: they see you as dominant, plus it makes picking them up really easy.

9. makern12

Feb 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    you all are funny.. thanks for all the insight!

10. Bfranke

Bfranke New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    My Buffs did the squatting thing too, in the weeks before they began to lay. They still do it, so that I will stroke them. A local farmer and I were talking, and he had gotten some partly raised chickens, and wondered when they would start laying. I told him about this behavior, and he had never heard of it. However, his hens began to act this way, and then began to lay!!
    Bette

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by