Black Australorps or Jersey Black Giants?

bookjunky4life

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
I got straight run chicks from the local ag store last March. I did not write down the breeds I purchased because I believed the worker would have written them down on some kind of receipt (which he did not). I got like 3 of different kinds for a total of 24. Now, I have figured out most of the breeds I have but am still at a loss on my black hens. There are two black roosters and four or five hens. The roosters I feel confident are Jersey Giants. They are huge and have glossy green on their feathers. However, is there some way to tell the Australop hens from the Jersey Giant hens? I can take photos if necessary but don't have any good ones right now. These are the only two black-feathered breeds that this particular ag store carries.

Last edited:
Yep, there sure is an easy way to tell them apart (well, easy if they allow you to pick them up).

Australorps have white feet on the bottoms. Jersey giants don't.

All the black hens are pretty flighty, but I can put on a jacket and gloves and pick them up to check the bottoms of their feet (so I'm not afraid of them pecking me). Thankfully, I'm confident on the two roosters, because they are BIG and I got a disciplinary peck on the finger by the larger one a few weeks ago and it hurt badly. For the most part, they are benevolent leaders.

Hatchery Gaints don't always have Yellow on the Bottom of their feet.
I had black Oprs that were in the 10+ pound range, and have heard of Hatchery Giants not being any bigger.

Pictures would help.

Last edited:

I took some decent photos of one of the two roosters. I'll try to get some photos of the hens soon.

Not yet. I will need my husband's assistance for that. He enjoys wrangling ("taming") the flighty chickens.

Back
Top Bottom