Black Australorps... Pullet or cockerel? PLEASE don't be a roo!

ashmbell

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2016
Hello, I have two black Australorps... They are both almost 11 weeks old. Both of them are very different than each other... The one in question of being a roo has a much larger tail that sticks straight up,he/she also has a much more pronounced comb and wattle... He/she is much more skittish and doesn't like being held too much. The other BA is WAY more calm and comes to me and allows me to pick her up.

I'm hoping I don't have a roo! (I can have them where I live just prefer not to have one!)

I would say you have one cockerel and one pullet. Don't just rely on my opinion though. Wait for others to reply :)

I'm inclined to agree, but I'm no expert. Are the hackle (neck) feathers more pointed on the bird in the foreground, compared to your other?

I haven't really noticed them being any pointier but I can look tomorrow... Here's another photo:

Could just be a slight difference in maturity rates. Lets see what the experts say - that should seal the deal either way for you.

CT

I can't make up my mind one is more "mature" than the other but I want to say both pullets - don't hate me if I am wrong.

I figure the only way to know is to wait it out for the first crow! I have read that they can mature at different rates. They both have their "big girl voices" already and cluck which is crazy to me because I have 4 other chickens that are around 16 weeks old and they only started clucking about 3-4 weeks ago.

Only time will tell...
1f609.png

This is my cockerel at 11 weeks (only a couple of weeks ago) His tail feathers are only just starting to come through now!! He didn't have huge wattles and that and still they're not huge but you see other cockerels that had a comb like his at 6 weeks so i could have been wrong in my first comment

Back
Top Bottom