Black Australorps- quality/photos?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Megs, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Hello, so i bought a trio of australorps last summer, i then added a few other hens (they were given to me as part of a flock). I have re-homed a few that did not seem to have the ideal qualitites for breeding, and some being picked on by the other birds, and this is what i have left, i would like to incubate some eggs from them. Three of them are pullets (the rest are 2 y/o) who i bought from the local ausltralorp breeder (has been improving her line for 10+ years and winning at the local fairs/shows for as long), the rest are from the flock i got. would like any feedback, if there are any obvious ones who should not be bred, etc.

Rooster: 08' baby, so just over 1 year
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

group shot (there are some EE in there as well, just for eggs, mmmm)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

would also love to see photos of your australorps!

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I could like to see some too. I'll be hatching some as soon as the eggs arrive...

3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    To me the birds have wrong coloured legs & eyes, they should both be black. They also lack type, they look more like Orpingtons than Australorps.
    Do a search, there has been some good photos of Australian Australorps posted in the past.
    David

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    They are good looking birds but David is right. Go to the australian websites on Australorps you'll find go info there.

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    My australorps that are also from an award winning show flock do not have black eyes either
    An australorp isn't an australian orpington ? I thought that's how the name came about...
    They look nice Megs!

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Black Orpingtons were brought to Australia around the 1890's the people their developed it to be a good layer and meat bird. It's like a Orp but Orp's have pink legs and Australorps have slate blue legs.

7. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    See www.australorps.com. This is the Australian Australorp site. Good luck with your birds.

8. Chookychook

Chookychook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Love the pics - we have three black and one blue chicks - 6 weeks old and am really looking forward to seeing them all grown up - we wanted to choose a "local" breed [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by