Black Australorps - Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Frizzledhen, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have ordered black australorps because I understood them to be good setters and mothers. On the Keepchickens sight their information is just the opposite. They say lorps are non setters. Does anyone have australorps and can you tell me for sure if they set or not? I do not want just mediocore setters, I want "Great" setters and mommas. Although I plan on enjoying many fresh eggs, my purpose if to raise chicks. The lorps also fit my other criteria, friendly, cold hardy, early mature and medium size heavy. Would love to hear form someone who actually has lorps.
    Thanks,
    Gayle

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    My original flock had 2 Australorps, Gabriella & Isabella. They didn't go broody until their 2nd summer. Gabriella was the best forager, produced eggs with bright orange yolks, and hatched 2 broods.

Isabella patiently sat on infertile eggs (hard to candle those green-shelled eggs). After tossing the first batch, I gave her 2 more eggs and she sat on those until the 18th day.

I will say that they brood infrequently, but they make excellent mothers when they do. From what I've read on other posts, Cochins are good setters & mothers, but I don't know about their egg production.

The Australorps do meet all the other criteria that you mentioned and I really like this breed. Perhaps you should get 1 Cochin along with Australorps.
    Stephanie

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My cochin lays more frequently than every other day, but not every day. I would say 5-6 times a week. She is also very broody! But, she comes out of it fast. If I keep taking eggs away from her, she gives up after a couple days. They are great pets, too.

4. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I only have 1 Australorp, but let me tell you she will go broody at the drop of a hat. LOL. I don't know about the mother part as I don't let mine hatch chicks.

5. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I had one 1 of 4 good broody for 25 days. I didn't have a rooster in with them so it was pointless. But she was a great egg warmer for those 25 days. LOL [​IMG].

6. 00buck

00buck New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    Custer City, Oklahoma
    Picked up 5 Australorp hens early this year. They are great egg layers, but none of them have gone broody.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have three, can't tell them apart, one has been on a nest for a couple of weeks now, and about half the time one of them is in a nest. None have actually raised chicks, yet; timing just wasn't right. Tried it once but fire ants got the chicks. Yuk. They've had chicks raised in their flock by a couple of others, and didn't bother the chicks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Of My two, one went broody this summer at 7 months of age...........I was surprised.
    Gave her purchased eggs.5.she did great and was a wonderful Mom

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I had three. Two of them went broody and one was a great mom, the other a bit less then good. The not so good momma (set great, but got tired of chicks after a week or two) may have been my fault though. I had her set duck eggs her first time and she lost her little chicken mind when they discovered the creek at around a week old. I think it scarred her, poor girl. The third one is 18 months old and has never been broody, but prior to going into molt was a very good layer of medium brown speckled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by