Black Australorps vs Black Jersey Giants (pictures posted please help)

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I got an email today from someone stating that they had BJGs with BAs in a pen but could not tell a between the two so its up to me to pick the BJG out.
What are distinct differances in 8 month old birds?

Last edited:
The biggest difference is, Jersey Giants don't have that really green sheen. If all look the same, look at the largest bird in the pen. The bottom of it's feet should be yellow.

Black Australorps have pink/white underneath their feet and Jersey Giants have yellow.

Ditto on the bottom of the feet being yellow for the Jersey Giants. They really look very similar but the Australorps have a pinkish gray foot on the bottom. We use zip ties on their legs to tell them apart; orange for Jersey Giants and blue for the Australorp. That way when they are running by I immediately know what kind it is !
lol.png
lol.png

Quote:
Any Good Black bird should have a green sheen-don't know where you got the idea that Giants shouldn't have it. There are differences between the 2 breeds but bottoms of the feet are the easiest thing to look for-Giants should be yellow.

Jersey giants do get bigger than australorps, but they're slow maturing. So it takes them quite a while to grow to full-size. My only giants were killed by a dog at 6 months, and they were large, but not a lot bigger than my barred rock.

Back
Top Bottom