1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorps vs Black Jersey Giants (pictures posted please help)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SarahFair, Nov 4, 2008.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I got an email today from someone stating that they had BJGs with BAs in a pen but could not tell a between the two so its up to me to pick the BJG out.
    What are distinct differances in 8 month old birds?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The biggest difference is, Jersey Giants don't have that really green sheen. If all look the same, look at the largest bird in the pen. The bottom of it's feet should be yellow.

Black Australorps have pink/white underneath their feet and Jersey Giants have yellow.

3. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    My BJG rooster has a really green sheen (well I think so anyways...never seen a BA in the sun)
    But thanks!

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ditto on the bottom of the feet being yellow for the Jersey Giants. They really look very similar but the Australorps have a pinkish gray foot on the bottom. We use zip ties on their legs to tell them apart; orange for Jersey Giants and blue for the Australorp. That way when they are running by I immediately know what kind it is ![​IMG][​IMG]

5. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    aha thats a really good idea!

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Any Good Black bird should have a green sheen-don't know where you got the idea that Giants shouldn't have it. There are differences between the 2 breeds but bottoms of the feet are the easiest thing to look for-Giants should be yellow.

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
  8. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Wow........I always thought the Jersey Giants got a lot bigger than the BA's. I am raising 6 BA's now and would like to know if they get THAT big!

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Jersey giants do get bigger than australorps, but they're slow maturing. So it takes them quite a while to grow to full-size. My only giants were killed by a dog at 6 months, and they were large, but not a lot bigger than my barred rock.

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My Australorps are huge. So, yes, they can get very very large!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by