Black australorps vs fire ants

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
Hey y’all,

I’ve got 5 black Aussie chicks (that are stinkin’ cute btw) who’ll be living in a tractor when they get bigger. We have a ton of fire ants here. Will the aussies eat fire ants? Just curious.

Thanks!

My dad once said that he would do this, btw, I know it is concerning, but sill, efficient. He would pour bleach into the anthill and then pour ammonia into the hill too, then he would quickly cover the top with a bucket and leave it for a few hours, and presto, no more ants. If you use this method, use it at your own risk and keep the chickens away from the war zone for a month or so. :D

My dad once said that he would do this, btw, I know it is concerning, but sill, efficient. He would pour bleach into the anthill and then pour ammonia into the hill too, then he would quickly cover the top with a bucket and leave it for a few hours, and presto, no more ants. If you use this method, use it at your own risk and keep the chickens away from the war zone for a month or so. :D
Use at your own risk for sure, chlorine gas is not to be messed with.

Would boiling water work? I’d like to stay away from the chemicals if I can. Ortho is what most people use around here, but I’d rather not have my birds scratching in that.

Would boiling water work? I’d like to stay away from the chemicals if I can. Ortho is what most people use around here, but I’d rather not have my birds scratching in that.
Fire ants may be resistant against water, but ya, boiling water can kill a lot. Here is the problem though, you will need a lot of water to kill their queen. Fire ants place their queens deep underground, deep enough that rainwater doesn't bother them, and to get rid of a colony, you must get rid of the queen. Also, I agree with the avoidance of using chems, I just wanted to tell you a possibility. :)
-ps, I bet your elate seasons are painful, literally. But the good thing about chickens is that they eat everything, but, just like a pet lizard, do not give them to much live food or else they become the food. Keep your chickens away from the ant nest and they can have a little snack, or they will learn to avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom