black australorps, whats going on with them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JPF92788, Aug 31, 2009.

1. JPF92788

JPF92788 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    so i got them in june and they were 3 months old supposedly. theres one that looks fully mature with large red comb and wattles underneath, the others are getting to that point. i havent had the most mature lay an egg yet or even seem like she would. the rooster is all over the 4 of them, as if they are sexually mature. im jsut worried about egg peritontitis or being egg bound. had a friend that had that problem awhile back with a couple hens. i feed them layer crumbles, scratch gain/corn combo. they have water readily available, oyster shells are in the coop in a dish. i mix DE light with their food, and its sprinkled on the run and coop floor bi monthly. they live in a 10x 30 run with a BA rooster, black star hen, RI red hen, buff orpington hen, and 3 silver laced wyandotte hens. the coop is rather large 8x8. just used for roosting and food. am i doing everything right and just being paranoid about them having egg peritonits or being egg bound?

2. boxwoman

boxwoman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2009
    New Milford
    I have 2 black australops, 2 plymouth rocks, 2 RIR and 2 E E. One set are 21 weeks and the others are 19 weeks. One RIR and one EE are laying. The others could care less. The ausralops are bigger than the rest and I thought she would lay first. I have no idea when we will actually have eggs from all the ladies. [​IMG]

3. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Take heart, I have two black aussies, both right at 5 months, one laid her first egg last Wednesday, the other one hasn't yet but I expect it any day. From what I've read and been told by my chicken mavens, the larger breeds lay later, and I believe it since I have two tiny 'mutts' that have been laying consistently for about three weeks now, and both were (perhaps) 18 weeks when they started. Another note: if they are molting, they don't lay eggs. Yet another wrinkle to the best-egged plans [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by