Black Australorps with strange feathering

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buff-Island-Australorp, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I have (5) BA's that are all 12 weeks. Since they have been fully feathered, (2) of them are feathered differently. Each of the feathers on these 2 are all frayed out, and look like they have had a perm. (almost like they have curly hair) They have all the features of a pure BA, including the green tint in the sunlight. My other 3 BA's have nice smooth coats, and the outer edge of each feather is actually a darker black outline.
    They are not molting because they have been this way the entire time.
    I bought them from a local feed store so it's not a guarantee that they all came from the same hatch. Could this be something that was bred into them, either from mom or dad? They are also the only 2 of the 5 that do not have distinct combs yet. They have no pinkish or redish colors on their faces as the other 3 do. I know they all mature differently, but I'm just now starting to think this is kinda weird!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At that age they have already been through one juvenile molt and will go through another before they become adults. With juvenile molts, you usually just see a lot of feathers laying around as opposed to the chicks looking rough or ragged. If it were not for those feathers laying around, you would not know they are molting.

My guess is that they are not BA but are some type of Frizzle. I don't do walking toilet brushes so I can't help you with them. [​IMG]

If they had come in with this type of feathering after the initial feather growth, I'd suspect that you may have wormed them when they are molting. One of the common wormers can cause this type of feathering if given during a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by