Black australorps wont lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matiportnoy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. matiportnoy

matiportnoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi!! I am from Puerto Rico and just started here at BYC. I am also a beginer at raising chickens. I got two black australorps about 3 days ago. The previous owner told me that they have been laying for aproximately 6-7 months, but not every day. Apparently they would lay a few eggs one week and then go a week o[​IMG]
    r two without laying. They are about 1-1.5 years old (according to previous owner). I beleive they are in the perfect age for laying. However, they havent layed an egg while living with me. Is this normal? What should I do if not?
    I feed them "egg layer's purina" (this is a translation for what we call it in spanish here in Puerto Rico) and corn. Theyy are also always pecking the grass and soil. They have a coop and a run. And I let them free range every afternoon for about an hour, but am always watching them during this time.
    Please help! And thanks!

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Give them a little time. Sometimes a move will stress them and they won't lay until they get back on track. They should be fine in a few days if not sooner.

1 person likes this.
  3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    When birds are moved to one place,and it's new,they won't lay for awhile,or a month.They are on the right feed.
    However,it is known for hens to lay eggs in places like bushes,under coops,etc.I would keep them in for one day and watch them.

Are you positive about the age?

4. matiportnoy

Feb 18, 2015
    Well, the previous owner told me that they had started laying about 6 or 7 months ago, and that she got them when they were chicks. Then she told they were about 1 year or 1.5 years old. This is all that I know about their age.
    The part that surprises me most is that the previous owner told me that they would lay pretty inconsistently. For example, a few eggs in one week, but then no eggs for another week or 2. However, I do think they might have been underfed at the time. Any thoughts?

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    The move will upset the laying cycle for awhile and if they weren't fed well it will take some time for them to build their body's up to good health. As far as feeding corn they will love it but it should be no more than 10% of their diet. The layer feed is 16% protein the corn is i think 8%, And the layer also has other things they need.. To put it simple chicken need protein, x amount to maintain there body's and any extra goes into making eggs. Just make sure your feeding them a good diet and try to be patient.

1 person likes this.
  6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Also - make sure they NEVER run out of clean water. In a warm climate, they'll be drinking quite a bit to hydrate themselves, maintain body temperature and produce eggs, and this drinking happens frequently throughout the day. I've read that a hen may stop laying for a week or more after being deprived of water for 12 to 24 hours. I'm not saying this was the problem with the previous owner, but wanted to make sure that I mentioned it, as it seemed characteristic of the intermittent egg-laying pattern you described.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Just because the owner says that,doesn't mean she isnt lying.They look healthy,and I believe their around 2 years.

8. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    ROOSTERS-------------------------DEVIL MADE ME DO IT! /////////// stress ,feed change , not anuff sun light yet possibly. give them time and less corn 6 1/2--7 per. protein.

9. matiportnoy

Feb 18, 2015
    Thanks, all!!! I'll make sure they have water 24/7 and I will feed them less corn :)

10. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Corn is their feed..Corn i doubt is disturbing their egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by