Black Australorps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chikenlady, May 15, 2008.

1. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Does anyone know when BA chicks lose their white feathers and fluff?

Mine are almost 5 weeks and they still have some white on their breasts and head...and some on their bottoms.

Thanks,

Lori [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Good Question! Mine are 3 weeks old and I'd like to know too![​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They will moult several times before they change over to complete black at maturity. I don't recall exactly when it happens but it will.

Jody

4. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Here are a couple of pics of my BA's at almost four months old, as you can see, they have lost they're white by this time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Thank you for giving my a time frame and a picture of your BA's. They sure are beautiful birds! They were the first breed I decided to buy hatching eggs from.

Lori [​IMG]

6. farm_mom

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    You're welcome. They're great birds. Very calm and friendly. Good layers too. Good luck with your birds! [​IMG]

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My girls are almost 3 months? Anyway, they still have a tiny bit of white on a few of their wing feathers, but otherwise the white facial tufts have disappeared. I hear after the 1st molt they will no longer have any white. They are beautiful birds with the green sheen to their black. And talk about friendly! I can't wait until the begin to lay.
    These pictures are of around 10-11 weeks of age, you can see a few small spots of white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here's one at 9 weeks
    [​IMG]
    And the same chick at 8 weeks
    [​IMG]
    I'd get you a 12 week picture but it is nasty and rainy out right now so I doubt I could grab a pic without water on the camera lens.

Farmmom, your birds are gorgeous!

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  8. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    About when does the BA start laying?

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Good question. I've read several things about that, but would also like to know what others have experienced on time of lay for this breed

10. farm_mom

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Mine laid their first at 21 weeks. Thanks Portia! Actually, these are older pics, I no longer have these birds. Not that I had any problems with them, but we decided to switch gears and raise heritage breeds here. I have to warn you though, all of my BA's went broody. If you want to raise little ones, that may be be a desired quality (we enjoyed it) but if you don't, and want a steady supply of eggs, it may be an issue for you. We really enjoyed our BAs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by